Pastor Kevin L. Bullock Sr senor Pastor of Payne Chapel AME Church. In 1886, Mrs. Wells opened her home to a minister and a small group with a desire of having a Church of great faith organized in the Fifth Ward in Houston, Texas. This outreach led to the establishment of Payne Chapel AME Church. Mr. James Calvin Lindsey named the church after Bishop Daniel Alexander Payne who was elected the 6th Bishop of African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1852 and served for 41 years. Through the Christian spirit of Mrs. Wells, these pioneers, with a local Minister, Reverend Richard Smith, as leader, were granted the use of her property at 1700 West Street without any financial remuneration. The Church remained at this site for six months with Reverend J. C. Butler, a mission minister, serving as temporary leader.